Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Disney and Alec amps: Monkey business?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking Disney and Alec amps: Monkey business?

    Hi

    I've found these on Orlando Craigslist. Are they worthwhile? Anyone interested? M

    AMPS - ALTEC COMMERCIAL 200W MONO BLOCKS (2)

    Timp
    Some where over the rainbow-upgrading will end?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Russ Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Disney and Alec amps: Monkey business?

    Disney bought tons (literally) of amplifiers from Altec for their theme parks. Altec would make minor changes for large orders, such as move a control from back to front, different nomenclature, that sort of thing. I never heard of any major circuit changes being done for Disney. The amplifiers in question are most likely model 1590B or 1590C.

    Extremely reliable, large and heavy. Power supply regulation is very stiff - the gain would stay within 1 dB after running 24/7 months (or years) on end. If you push it into clipping it will sound like $#!+. Kept below clipping, IMO they sounded quite good (for a commercial amplifier). YMMV. The 1590C was the top selling product for the Industrial/Professional division at $497,499 dealer billing for 12 months somewhere between 1978 and 1980 (date lost when list was photocopied). Worth $100 for two? If I had the need (and room) I'd do it if local pickup. (Make sure they work first).

    Russ

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Disney and Alec amps: Monkey business?

    They look like 1590C's - pretty rough.

    Call IraTec and ask him if they can be serviced first...
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Disney and Alec amps: Monkey business?

    So, yer saying Altec made Mickey Mouse amps?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Disney and Alec amps: Monkey business?

    Now that's just Goofy.

    Grab a stereo pair of them next time you go for a jog around the block, and see if you've got the wind left to even say Micky Mouse when you get home...

    Good to hear from you Russ, don't be such a stranger!
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.